Monday, September 29, 2014

Door as a Headboard

Still crankin' out the projects while it's gorgeous weather! All too soon falling snow will replace falling leaves! This old door is destined to become a new headboard:


I hosed it down and let it dry. I mixed up a shade of grey to coordinate with the bedding colors and brushed it on as a base color. (Graphite and antique white) Then I dry brushed a shade darker shade, followed by a lighter shade using Annie Sloan's Cocoa with a touch of Graphite.

Finally I sanded the edges to bring out the details. I finished by rubbing in a coat of Fiddes & Sons Supreme wax polish - Light.


Fiddes is an ever so slightly yellow color wax compared to my Annie Sloan Clear. I felt this would help with the aging look we were going for, without going too dark. I may change my mind after I see it in the room and add the darker wax, as well. Here is it so far:



2 comments:

  1. So how did it turn out, Diane? I built a few door turned headboards last year too. Now if only I could find a place locally to sell them! Poor things, just taking up space in my garage when they could be adding new beauty to someone else's sleeping space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I'll have to snap a picture next time at their house and send it to you. I also used an old door at the bottom of my basement stairls - just for decoration . . . and my daughter has two leaning on either side of the opening to her dining room. I'm really into architectural details . . .

      I'm finding it interesting that several life coaches I know are into repurposing things . . . . maybe cause it's easier than trying to repurpose people?!?!?!?!? :)

      Delete